Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Progress, Not Perfection


I used to want to be perfect at something or not do it. Today, I embrace my imperfection. I just want to grow. I just want to be better than I was yesterday. Last week, I came in second to last in my age group in the 10 mile race. I don't care. I am proud that I did better than I did 2 weeks before that - progress, not perfection. "Day by day, we try to move a little toward God's perfection. So we need not be consumed by maudlin guilt for failure to achieve His likeness and image by Thursday next. Progress is our aim, and His perfection is the beacon, light-years away, that draws us on." Bill W., Letter, 1966. Today is World AIDS Day. I miss my friends that I have lost to this disease and today I honor them.

No comments:

Post a Comment