Sunday, January 10, 2010

Achieving the Impossible


In May 2002, I turned 40 and my partner gave me a metal desk plaque that said "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" I thought that I would do so many things. I never had the courage, determination or persistence to do all the things I dreamed of doing. Last year around this time, I thought about the four 5K running races I had done and thought "If I had the right training, I could do a marathon?" Maybe the Chicago Marathon. Well, I am not a good runner and continuously injured myself. I started doing triathlons, which are difficult, but still easier for me because I am a better swimmer and cyclist. I was so happy to do the Chicago Triathlon in August 2009. But then, this fall I started to run again. First another 10k, then another 10K, then a 15K on Thanksgiving and then a Half Marathon on December 5, 2009. Then a friend decided not to run the Disney Marathon, so I agreed to run in his place. Today, the weather in Orlando, Florida set record cold temperatures, I but did it. I doubled the farthest distance I ever had run because I applied principles of recovery, I prayed, and I did not really know if I could, but I believed I would...I am just so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment