Friday, June 18, 2010

Our worst fear is our best friend...our key to freedom

I have a good friend, Rajesh, and he has no legs and only one full size arm. He runs marathons and does triathlons. He lets no limitation stop him. I used to do only the things that I was good at, immediately adept at, and I would avoid things that would give me the possibility of losing. I am a lawyer who avoided court litigation because I did not want to lose. My fears were my guide. However, I would do terribly dangerous things that were objectively very difficult, but I was not afraid. So, I had limited rationality. As I recovered, I recognized my recklessness in so many areas of my life and today I choose not to do it. In my recovery, I take healthy risks; adventures that test my mind and body...not statistical odds of crime, our fears and our ego needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment