Sunday, February 17, 2013

True Freedom

On February 17, 2007, I stood before a federal judge as a lawyer who had lost everything meaningful in my life except my family and a desire to find redemption.  The night before I was walking down Michigan Avenue in Chicago and the temperature was 4 degrees Fahrenheit. I silently prayed that God would let me feel and know that He was with me.  The night's wind was so cold that I hailed a taxi and jumped in.  My taxi driver was Nigerian and so was my friend from Atlanta who called me as I got in the cab. 

As I was getting out of the taxi in front of the hotel where I was staying, a big black homeless looking guy came up to me and asked if I wanted my shoes shined.  I told him, "No thanks, bro. It's so cold, I just want to go inside." He asked if I could help him out and I gave him some money.  He looked at it with a surprised face like it was either too much or not enough...then, he looked me intensely and asked me my name.  "Steve".

He held out his had to shake mine and said slowly and deliberately, "My name is Emmanuel."  It was enough hope for me. I was sentenced to 24 months in federal prison.  Life seemed over and I could not comprehend it. I survived it and prospered.  I discovered who I was and developed a friendship with my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment