Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sea Of Sharks - Hanging out with lawyers for three (3) days.

Today, I finished a conference of the American Bar Association Lawyer Assistance Programs.  It is their annual conference on programs to help lawyers with addiction issues and mental health problems.  Denial, delusion, rationalization, minimization and intellectualization are the hallmark of the lawyer's defense mechanism.

It was very difficult to hear all kinds of discussions about other lawyers going through what I did.  I heard a new definition of addiction - "I can't do it successfully, but I will always think I can." The fact is that sobriety is treacherous; life is treacherous.  But is really a great adventure and I do not want to miss a sober second of it - Good people, broken, cerebral - hard working people trying to change and do their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment