Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Freedom and Justice - Praying for Mercy

Yesterday, the United States celebrated 235 years since its Declaration of Independence.  I ran the Watermelon Run in Winter Park, Florida.  It is the third year that I ran this race and it starts my Run for GUA Africa fund raising runs for Emma Academy.  Meanwhile, Casey Anthony, a 25 year old Orlando woman was sitting in the Orange County Courthouse as closing arguments on her 7 count charge of murder, manslaughter, child abuse and lying to the police.  The closing arguments looked quite dire for her and she faced the death penalty.  Today she was acquitted from the most severe charges and only held guilty for lying to the police. 

Much of Orlando and the country is outraged.  They need a villan and closure.  I have experienced accusations of all kinds; some deserved, some not.  But I know that all of us in the grips of addiction have made grave errors of judgment and lapses of morality.  In some cases, we were

Today, I know right from wrong and cannot hide behind my disease.  While I am still capable of moral mistakes and poor jdugment, I am aware of what my conscience and my gut tells me.  I never will take my freedom for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment