Monday, November 21, 2011

Road blocks in our minds.

TIME = Things I Must Earn.
When I was in active alcoholism, I would count the days until the weekend or I would wish for fall or winter not to come.  I was always against time - counting it, distorting it. Hating it.  When I got sober, I counted sober days.  Everyone in prison, including the staff, count backwards until freedom.  In many ways, we are all doing time.  Today, Time equals things I must earn...it means I do not count time my way, but let time unfold.  I read the following meditation and love it:

Time
I recognize that there are two concepts of time. There is earth time, by which I structure my day and by which society operates, that is tied to three dimensions of space, time and circumstance and there is timeless time, or that state beyond time of simple beingness. Though I operate by earth time, I need not get stuck there. I always have access to another level of time through the quiet and stillness within me. Each day I will allow myself to be with timeless time.
I will spend time in eternity.
Physicists themselves are not consistent in how they employ these concepts. They may use one set of definitions in the laboratory but lapse back into the ideas of common sense when they leave the job. In spite of these uncertainties, I will refer... to two types of time: (1) the time of common sense (linear, flowing, external time; the time of progress, development, and history). and (2) the time that is alluded to in modern physics (nonflowing, nonlinear time; the "time of eternity"; the time in which things do not happen, but simply "are").
Larry Dossey, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment