Saturday, January 1, 2011

Another Beginning 2011


Today is January 1, 2011, truly the first day of the rest of my life and Emmanuel Jal's birthday. It is also the beginning of many new starts - I started this day with my best friend, Brenda Thompson and then I ran a 5K Race in Clearwater, Under Pressure, time 28:28. 28 minutes; 28 seconds. I don't know what it means, but it means something. Every year of my sobriety has been named something - 2005 was Absolute Adventure. 2006 was Absolute Surrender. 2007 was Absolute Acceptance. 2008 was Absolute Freedom. 2009 was Absolute Hope. 2010 was Absolutely Amazing. I decided to name 2011 "Absolute Peace" for my desire for Peace in South Sudan, Peace in Darfur, Peace in Mexico, Peace is Congo, Peace in Ivory Coast, Peace in Iraq, Peace in Afghanistan, Peace in Pakistan, Peace in the world. Peace. January 9, 2011 is the Referendum for Freedom in South Sudan. The Kharoum government will want to hold power. Kill. War. More Hate. More Death.
So, now, I am fighting for peace in Sudan.
Prayer for Peace
Praying for peace in South Sudan.
Praying for freedom for e'ry child, women and man.
I heard about Darfur and cared with my head.
And while I cared, more found dead.
Then I heard the song of Emmanuel Jal,
My heart opened wide and I heard the call.
I can't stop the screams and the cries of pain.
I can't close my eyes and pretend again.
Now, I can't turn away and deny what's going on.
The children and the faces show what's wrong.
Who am I? A convicted felon, gay, recoverying alcoholic and an activist.
Who am I? Lawyer, adventurer, interventionist and economist.
Who am I? A guy with integrity to fight against racists.
I am strong in spirit, body and mind.
I am a lover of life and all mankind.
I have enough love and tears for all who need them.
I will fight for the weak, the poor and the children.
I will run for GUA until my feet wear out.
I will not be silent, going to scream and shout.
We want peace for South Sudan.
We want peace in Africa throughout the land.
Enough blood; enough war.
Shout for peace for South Sudan and for Darfur.
We got to stop the killing and stop the greed.
We got to find the answer and meet the need.
Enough is enough of all this hate.
No time to discuss; no time to debate.
Let's tell our governments and demand our Presidents.
Peace for Sudan; let's stop the precedents.
Human beings and tribes must live and thrive together.
Before we destroy our land, our nations, our water and weather.
God protect us from war and disease.
Give us hope and give us peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment