Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fear knocked faith answered; no one was there...


"Fear knocked at the door; faith answered; no one was there." This quote I read in Daily Reflections. It explained what I have leaned through experienced - that fear is an illusion. It is an illusion because I am projecting an outcome that I do not know. For example, if I go into the wilderness, there are potential dangers, but I may or may not face them. As I go out into the city or into life in general, there are also dangers, but I may nor may not face them as well. Fear is not totally unfounded. Dangers and threats can be real. But courage, courage is wonderful. Courage is the willingness to continue in the face of fear or the willingness to do the right thing in spite of fear. Courage, then, is not the absence of fear. Pema Chodron said that many people believe that the brave have no fear; the truth is they are intimate with it. As was stated in today's Daily Reflections, "[d]uring the times I didn't have love in my life I most assuredly had fear. To fear God is to be afraid of joy. In looking back, I realize that, during the times I feared God most, there was no joy in my life. As I learned not to fear God, I also learned to experience joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment