Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sobriety Symbols

I am really big on Sobriety Symbols. Whenever there was a full moon, I knew I had just gone another 30 days clean and sober. Each sunset was a welcome reward for a day well lived. When I was in Pensacola FPC, I remembered the sun coming up and shining across the air field and for a moment I could actually be excited about the day and what good might come. When I first got sober, I worked as a sailor aboard a dolphin watch yacht excursion and when the dolphin would come up to the boat, I knew I was free. I would sail my Hobie-Cat across Boca Ciega Bay and would sail over the dolphin. I knew that life was beautiful. Dolphin became one of the most important sobriety symbols when I was assigned to carve dolphin in the wood shop. Other sobriety symbols became more than coins or tokens. They included butterflies, shells, lost pennies, palm trees, birds, pens, stationary and many more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment