Monday, May 23, 2011

Father and Son

Today is my father's 75th birthday.  We are very different and we agree on very little, but my sobriety has been the bridge to our relationship.  I do not know why we see the world so differently, but I am grateful for the ability to learn another perspective.  I am grateful for the lesson I have learned on what to do and what not to do.  I am grateful for my father's humanity.  When I was very young, I wanted to worship him and then I learned that I could not and I saw his weaknesses. 

When I became so sick, he really hated what had happened to me, but never stopped loving me.  Today, he does not understand or approve of so much of me, but he has unfaltering loyalty and support of me anyway.  My father is a paradox and that is fine with me because all good things in my life are paradoxes. Happy Birthday, Pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment