Friday, March 11, 2011

Everything is exactly the way it is supposed to be at every moment

The idea that everything is exactly the way it is supposed to be at every moment is probably the most difficult concept that I have ever had to accept and, admittedly, my acceptance of this concept is not unwaivering.  I do not understand how injustice, natural calamity and human foibles can be part of God's plan.  How can everything be part of a plan?  If God is everything, then how can He/She/It allow so much suffering.  I have studied this issue and thought seriously about this concept.  Proof of it is beyond my comprehension and reasonable minds can differ, but in my recovery I learned about Acts of Providence. 

I learned that in the depth of my disease and alcholism, only an Act of Providence could restore me to sanity.  But what was an Act of Providence?  The best definition I heard was from Mickey Bush who said that an Act of Providence was something bad that God could have prevented, but chose not to, so that good could come from it.  Hmmm.  How could racism, violence, war, child abuse, domestic violence be something that God would allow so that good could come from it? I don't know, but I have this faith that it will be revealed to me. 

In my own circumstance, I was the cause of all my problems; all my problems, all of them, were of my own making and I have choices, I always have choices, to be noble or petty, to do right or wrong, to see the good or give in to the bad.  I have the freedom to up out of the plan any time.  However, since I have free will, I must choose wisely. We all have choices and so each moment can be considered a teaching moment.  For me, and only for me, I choose to believe that all suffering has value and that there are no mistakes in God's world.  This is my ultimate test of faith...help me in my belief, help me in my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment