Thursday, August 18, 2011

The True Goal - Trying Your Best

When I was young, I would only do something if I was  fairly good at it right away and got better at it quickly.  Winning and losing were taught to be very important.  Winners were good and losers were bad.  The idea of losing was the worst possible thing.  When I became a lawyer, I avoided litigation because there were winners and losers and I could not bear the idea of losing.  I hated sales, because the only way to win is to complete the sale.  Ironically, I lost everything I had physically, mentally and spiritually...but in losing I gained myself.  I found out who I was and I liked the person I found.  It is said that when you are down to nothing, God is up to something. 
In the process of losing everything and everyone, I learned a very simple lesson - the true goal is Trying My Best!! Today, I run as smart and as hard as I can.  I swim, cycling, surf, sail, kayak and live as best I can - every day.  I have learned that trying my best is the best that I can do and is all I need to do.  Trying hard is better than winning without effort. Doing my best and losing is better than winning.  A person's true measure is whether he or she tries to do the best always.  Today I do my best and let God take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment