Saturday, August 6, 2011

Around the World on A Beach

Early, this morning I went out for a training run on New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Despite the Florida heat, there was a nice breeze off the ocean.  It was my first long distance run in barefoot shoes and I felt filled with energy.  As I ran in the morning silence, only five or six surfers were in the ocean and only a few people were walking or running the beach.  At this early hour, I was full of energy.  While I was running, I remembered running in Chicago, New York City, Miami and Michigan.  Then, I remembered running in Geneva and Zurich, Switzerland, Paris, Vienna, London and Breda, Netherlands.  I felt a part of the world – right sized.  People like me often feel better than the world or far worse than the world, but rarely perfectly fitted in the world.  When I run, I am neither at front or the end; I am just a guy running for kids in Africa.  It’s bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment