Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/11 - Ten years later...Life goes on.

This morning I woke at 4:00 am to prepare for the Chicago Half Marathon which took place on the south side of Chicago near the Museum of Science and Industry and the University of Chicago.  I got ready and drove down to Jackson Park.  I parked in the Museum parking garage and walked in the dark listening to WBEZ on my iPod.  The program was Magnificent Obsession.  It is program of true stories of recovery.  It is produced by Jim Nayder and Jerry Sheridan.  Jerry Sheridan tried for several years to help me get sober.  I used to hear these episodes and knew I needed help, but for some reason, I could not make that step.  The preparation for the race made me realize how much my recovery and my sobriety have now permeated my life.  Recovery is everything as much as my alcoholism was before it had been arrested.  Today, I am strong, healthy, present and grateful. 
The race began and I will never forget the thrill of running in Chicago where I was so defeated.  A place I love so much.  Running for the kids in South Sudan - faces that look like so many of the faces of the children I passed along this race on the south side of Chicago.  The love I have for these people is unusually pure.  I feel like the best person I can be when I run for Emma Academy. 

Around mile (7) seven, I got really tired and sore.  I hit the wall a little and was really overheated.  The day was not too hot and was beautiful.  I thought about my poor time and felt shame.  I thought about the lack of donations and began to doubt why I do this.  Then, as I finished, it became clear why I do it - because it is a good thing to do.  I do this because there is no shame and there is only inner satisfaction.  God, I love this life of adventure.




h

No comments:

Post a Comment