Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Doing the things that I did not want to do...

Doing the things that I did not want to do has been the most important tool of my recovery and my sober life as an adventure! I first heard this phrase "Doing the things I did not want to do" when Clancy I. mentioned it in his story. After over 10 years of trying to get sober and failing, Clancy finally got sober even when he had not intended to. A woman asked him what was different this time. He normally was glib and eloquent, but this time he was at a loss for words when he said "I don't know; I guess I just got willing to do the things I didn't want to do!"

This phrase and this prescription has served me well to achieve sobriety. I become willing, flexible and able to adjust to things that I don't like...in fact, I embrace them! I have learned over and over again that I actually do like to do the things that I thought I would not like - if only I open my mind and try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment