Friday, September 30, 2011

End of September - A Lifetime of Amends...


We Want Peace logo from Emmanuel Jal
I divide each month into a virtue that I focus on each month - January = Honesty, February = Hope, March = Faith, April = Courage, May = Integrity, June = Willingness, July = Humility, August = Love and Compassion, September = Justice & Reparation, October = Perseverance, November = Spirituality, and December = Love & Service as a result of Gratitude...This month I have been making lots of amends and coming forth to take the justice due me.  It is my obligation that sets me free.  I have so many shameful actions from my drinking past.  I thought I could make up for them by doing good works in compensation for the bad I had done.  In the last 5 years, I have sought to correct the past my making a new past today.

While it is true that I cannot take back what has been done and I have no control over the past, I can make a difference today.  If I stop doing the things that I am not proud of today and tomorrow and the next day, I will soon string together weeks and months and years of fewer regrets and a past that I can look back on in satisfaction.  I am deeply sorry for the mistakes I made, but the only way for that regret to matter, to make any difference is by amending my behavior and by living a life of love and service now, today.  I am so full of love and gratitude for the new chances I have been given and I am humbled by the tasks at hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment